Thursday, April 12, 2012

Home...


A quick recap of the events of this week: Sunday, Easter with Danielle, Shanan, Amelia and Tracey.  Monday, final checkout with doc and garden hose removal.  Tuesday, raping by airline to fly home. Wednesday and today, work from home days.  Now you’re all caught up. 
I know some of you are nosy so here are the gory details.  Easter was great, a beautiful spring day in Denver and Tracey and I went to City Park to enjoy a little outdoors.  We then went to Aurora to see Danielle, Shanan and Amelia by way of a very sketchy liquor store.  It was great that I got to see them once more before heading home. 
Monday started bright and early with labs at 8am followed by the hose removal ceremony.  This ended up being one of the easiest things I had to do at Porter and didn’t even have to put on the ceremonial gown before lying on the table of sacrifice.  They shot some glowy liquid (but it only glows when we put radiation on it – thanks, that makes me feel so much better) in through the tube to check to make sure I was watertight.  Fortunately for me, I wasn’t leaking anywhere so they decided to pull the tube and make me completely organic again.  Once out, they covered up the hole with gauze and another one of these pieces of adhesive saran wrap that becomes part of your skin – great for sealing an open wound but removing it takes the top two layer of skin with it.  Not a good trade-off in my mind.  One thing the doc said stuck in my head when referring to the bandage: “You might see it get soiled.  This is normal since we punched a hole in the main drain.  Keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn’t get too nasty.”  He wasn’t real clear on what “too nasty” looks like but thankfully it looks like the bandage is still very white and clean looking.  I just have nightmares of taking it off and, well, you can guess the rest. 
I also met with the nephro as well on Monday because why pass up an opportunity to stick it to my insurance one more time?  He gave me a clean slate to muck up infinitely and sent me on my way.  
My flight home was uneventful once I got past the raping at check-in.  I know that my bag was overweight but I was already carrying over 40 lbs on my shoulders and short of a bag like Hermione’s, I couldn’t possibly stuff a tissue in there.  I even busted out the “I just had a transplant and am carrying far more weight then I’m supposed to” line and got nothing.  So my bag got to fly for about half the cost of my flight.  And this is where I call shenanigans.  I could have repacked part of my bag in a box and checked two things for $60.  This, of course, would have entailed me tearing open my suitcase in front of the entire airport and putting some things in a container of dubious tensile strength.  Not very appealing.  I seriously thought I was talking to knights demanding a shrubbery.  Moral of the story?  Be wary of any muggle-born carrying small bags or an extraordinary tall knight wearing a funny hat.
Back home, things are about the way they were before I left.  My boys are very glad to see me and won’t leave me alone.  The house is still standing and I’m settling back in.  I’m back to work as of yesterday but working from home until Monday when I will let my shining light breathe life back into the office.  Actually, it might be a little clouded since it is a Monday morning but I’ll be there on best behavior anyway. 
So that’s my story.  Unless something major comes along, this is the end of the transplant updates.  Thanks for checking in and making it easy for me to disperse information.  Keep checking periodically for updates but be wary – I can be random.  I know this comes as a surprise to some but yea, really really random.  So read at your own risk.  Of losing intelligence.

1 comment:

  1. I sincerely hope that you heal well and can just get back into the business of living normally--whatever that is ;-). Here's to health!

    ReplyDelete